personal AIR QUALITY dashboard
for Allegheny County, PA
LAST 72 HOURS:
EnviroDylos w/Regional PM2.5
These are dynamically generated plots primarily for Fine Particlate Matter that compares regional air monitor sites and the EnviroDylos, an environmentally maintained enclosure for a Dylos DC1100, Fine Particulate Counter, from which to sample outdoor ambient air.
For reference, this is a time line for the "Current" reported AQI values posted by AirNow.gov|
Liberty is seperated from the Pittsburgh AQI calculation. Often times a new hourly AQI value is not provided during the early morning hours. As such, data points have been added to help show missed updates.
Regional PM2.5 levels posted to AirNow.gov along with the EnviroDylos.|
Latest Climatic Conditions - KAGC
(Direction)|(Log Time)|(Speed)|(Angle)|(Temp F)|(%RH)
angle value of 999 = shifting winds
Last Wind Update
no pointer = shifting winds
or no wind
Difference between the EnviroDylos and a stand-alone Dylos (Ambient).|
(stand-alone Dylos, provided courtesy of the CMU CREATE Lab and the Breathe Project)
Regional Ozone levels posted to AirNow.gov|
EnviroDylos Ambient/Outdoor CO2 Level (CO2meter's SenseAir-K30 Sensor)|
Will CO2 levels rise along with fine particulate during Surface Inversions?
Is it possible to see the industrial Mon. River Valley breathe?
Or this could be just down right boring.
Public data pulled from the AirNow.gov API server. Reference: www.AirNow.gov
Index of Logged note worthy AQ Events
For more information about the EnviroDylos, go to: crHARPER.DuckDNS.org/EnviroDylos
In October of 2014, I was perplexed by our region's air quality while observing some of the very localized smog, more politely referred to as 'haze' by our local television 'celebrity' weather 'prognosticators'. I then started taking an active interest in the AirNow.gov web site but found that there was no way to view and review PM2.5 fine particulate levels occurring just a few hours prior.
It seemed obvious that for future reference, data collection would be necessary and a simple plot consisting of all the regional AQ monitor sites overlaid on a single time line would be an easy way to get a clearer understanding of what goes on with our region's inconsistent air quality levels. It is from that need, this basic web page was initially created.
Shortly after that, the need to create an environmentally controlled chamber for my Dylos DC1100, purchased in November of 2014, became clearly evident. And from that, I was then able to record far more reliable fine particulate data beginning in January of 2015.
Regarding the EnviroDylos, there are good arguments for not eliminating the fine water and ice particles from Dylos readings because many consider that the sources of these, thought to be interfering, particles most likely originate from industrial sources in our region and are potentially toxic. A perfectly valid viewpoint, but for this project, I want to provide conservative and comparable particulate values, that over time, show to be very much like that reported by the County and DEP instrumentation.
* NOV 08, 2014 - Pittsburgh AQI values pulled from AirNow.gov
* NOV 10, 2014 - county PM2.5 data pulled from AirNow.gov
* NOV 12, 2014 - county airport weather data pulled from Weather.gov
* NOV 14, 2014 - DEP PM2.5 & Ozone data pulled from AirNow.gov
* NOV 14, 2014 - placed order for a Dylos DC1100
* NOV 22, 2014 - noted highway small particle counts were in the 2000s
* DEC 04, 2014 - noted very high outdoor particle counts atributed to frozen water particles
* DEC 11, 2014 - logging outdoor Dylos, w/frozen water particles
* JAN 05, 2015 - EnviroDylos operational
* JAN 08, 2015 - added second Dylos as ambient reference
* MAR 11, 2015 - added Liberty to AQI plot
* AUG 24, 2015 - added county airport wind data reference
* SEP 09, 2015 - added wind plot
* OCT 28, 2015 - real time data upload to the CREATE Lab's Environmental Sensor Data Repository
* FEB 27, 2016 - Parkway East added to PM plot, a new county monitor added in late 2015
* JUL 27, 2016 - CO2meter's SenseAir-K30 CO2 sensor added to EnviroDylos
If all is working correctly, plots are updated hourly.
Manual page refresh required.